Top 10 Calamari
Although most of us have never likely encountered a live octopus, there is a staggering array of calamari dishes across Kansas City. With so many choices, it can be difficult to figure out which ones are a real catch. What follows are the 10 calamari plates you should make every effort to grab with both tentacles.
10. McCormick & Schmick’s. The right ratio of breading to calamari. These always come out hot and are gone before you realize you’ve eaten the entire plate.
9. Red Snapper. The fried king calamari are steaks, not tubes. The lemon-chili dipping sauce adds a good amount of heat to a generous serving.
8. Osteria Il Centro. The calamari fritti is meant to be a shared appetizer, but you’ll want to keep it to yourself. A thick basil pesto and roasted red pepper cocktail sauce are good compliments.
7. The Gaf. The calamari at this Waldo standard are dipped in buttermilk before being fried, which adds a lighter quality that pairs well with the Spicy Guinness-Mustard aoli.
6. Ruth’s Chris Steak House. You’re focused on steak when you get there, but save some room for the calamari. When it’s on the menu, it’s almost worth going just for the fried rings served with a Thai chili sauce.