Things to do this weekend
1. Go to the library — but not to read! Check out the Art of Improvisation, a musical event featuring Mark Southerland, Jeff Harshbarger and Allison Moore, happening at 8:30 Friday at the Central Branch of the Kansas City, Missouri, Public Library.
2. See some art in the Crossroads. It’s not First Friday, but what the heck? Rhythmized Textiles from the African Diaspora opens with a 6-9 p.m. reception Friday at Pi Gallery.
3. Shop for cheap vintage threads and affordable art. KC’s Art Flea Market happens every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the corner of 16th Street and Holmes.
4. Find out why the Kansas City Zoo is among the top 60 zoos in the nation — and number one in at least one category. The co-author of a book ranking American zoos will be at the zoo on Sunday from noon until 2 p.m.
5. Rock out for a guy with lung cancer. DiCarlo’s Mustard Seed is hosting the Jammin’ for Chuck Benefit at 2 p.m. Sunday, a concert of about a half-dozen bands who want to help raise money for Chuck Chubb, who was recently diagnosed with lung cancer.
6. For more weekend distractions, see The Pitch calendar.