Pass the roach

  • nonrev
  • This frequent restaurant patron never leaves a tip.

Let’s face it, cockroaches are a part of restaurant life, particularly if the venue is in an old building or the restaurant owner isn’t consistent in paying for regular extermination services. And some restaurant owners don’t always make that a high priority (I’ve worked for several of them) until the Kansas City Health Department comes in and shuts them down for violating health codes.

A particularly severe cockroach infestation caused the Health Department to temporarily close down the Vietnamese restaurant, Sung Son, is Westport last Friday. If the story reported this morning by KSHB Channel 41 is accurate, the Health Department inspector found dead and live roaches in practically every nook and cranny: “…on an onion…in food bags…inside egg roll packages.” Yeah, I know what you’re thinking: A bug bomb the size of an atomic bomb might not be effective enough.

Categories: Dining, Food & Drink