Best Cover Songs? Seriously?
AOL Radio posted what their listeners consider to be the ten best cover songs of all time.
10) Urge Overkill: ‘Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon’
9) Guns N’ Roses: ‘Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door’
8) Manfred Mann’s Earth Band: ‘Blinded by the Light’
7) Foo Fighters: ‘Darling Nikki’
6) Joey Ramone: ‘What a Wonderful World’
5) Seether: ‘Careless Whisper’
4) Alien Ant Farm: ‘Smooth Criminal’
3) Metallica : ‘Turn the Page’
2) Jimi Hendrix: ‘All Along the Watchtower’
1) Johnny Cash: ‘Hurt’
Two Dylan covers—unsurprising. The fact that one of them is the G ‘n’ R cover is a little disconcerting (most reviews tend to call it something along the lines of a “misinterpretation”), as is the inclusion of a Bob Seger cover or anything by Seether.
It’s also difficult to ignore the lack of any great soul covers (Aretha Franklin’s version of “Respect,” Otis Redding doing “Shake”), or that Jeff Buckley’s arresting, haunting version of “Hallelujah” is nowhere to be found. Then again, any poll conducted online, especially via AOL, is probably to be taken with a grain, if not an entire box of, salt. My list would probably consist of nothing but Mrs. Miller covers, to be honest.